Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Not for the Faint of Heart

     I went to a wedding a few nights ago and was so struck by the vows that were said. They were no different than any other wedding vows I have ever heard, but I think for the first time I actually listened to what they were saying. For better or worse, in sickness and health, for richer or poor. These two were declaring, in front of us and God, that they would see each other through whatever laid before them, good or bad. Our culture tells us now that marriage is for better or worse IF the worse does not last too long or as long as you still feel satisfied or in love with your husband/wife. We miss the gravity of what we are declaring and the covenant that we are making to our spouses. A covenant that says I will love, honor and respect my husband no matter what may come. I will love him with a love like Christs' that HATES sin but LOVES the sinner. Christ loves us with an unwavering love and has made a covenant with His people. He says that there is NOTHING that can seperate us from the love of Christ, even though everyday is a struggle for us to love him back. Even though he knew we would sin against him everyday and turn our backs on him, he still came and still loves. Too many times people get caught up in wanting a wedding so bad or fear that they will not meet "the one", that they rush into forever. This thing called marriage is not for the faint of heart. When we say, "I do" we are called to a life of selflessness. A life where I am to respect and follow my husband and a life that my husband is to lay down for me. This is what our vows should be about... an unwavering, constant, steadfast, selfless love. A love that knows no bounds, a love like Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment